Sunday, April 25, 2010

Fixing bugs for Vmware on Karmic Kola

It took a lot of time for me to get vmware 2.02 server running on Karmic Kola, and still there was this issue with Mouse pointer not working. At last I came across this link "http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298781" where in they have given a Shell script to run.


#!/bin/bash
################################################## ##############################
# Call VMWare Server's Remote Console in a clean GTK setup.
################################################## ##############################

# Clean GTK setup for VMWare
export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=yes

# Find console executable in Firefox plugins.
vmrc="$(find "$HOME/.mozilla/firefox" -name vmware-vmrc -type f -perm -111 | tail -1)"
[ -x "$vmrc" ] || exit 1

set -x
cd "$(dirname "$vmrc")" && "$vmrc" -h 127.0.0.1:8333


What I did is, we need to go to some path, in my case I have chosen my home folder.

bala@ubuntu:~$ pwd
/home/bala

Use some editor, in my case I have used gedit to create a file called vmware.sh

bala@ubuntu:~$ gedit vmware.sh
bala@ubuntu:~$ ls
vmware.sh

The created file will not have executable permissions, as shown with the ls -l command

bala@ubuntu:~$ ls -l vmware.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 bala bala 521 2010-04-25 08:56 vmware.sh

I am changing the permission of that file here.

bala@ubuntu:~$ chmod 654 vmware.sh
bala@ubuntu:~$ ls -l vmware.sh
-rw-r-xr-- 1 bala bala 521 2010-04-25 08:56 vmware.sh

Then when I try to run it as normal user it told permission denied. So I ran it as sudo user and wola, it prompts for username and password key in those and you are as good as new :-D

bala@ubuntu:~$ ./vmware.sh
bash: ./vmware.sh: Permission denied
bala@ubuntu:~$ sudo ./vmware.sh

2 comments:

  1. In addition to the above steps I added the following two lines to the *.vmx file.

    # Added by Bala on 25 Apr according to the link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298781

    svga.maxWidth="1024"
    svga.maxHeight="768"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I even had problem with USB not getting detected on my VM machine so I had to add in these two links to /etc/fstab

    # I included the next lines to fix problem using USBs in VMWare
    # following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=936094

    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

    ReplyDelete