Saturday, July 7, 2012

Remote Desktop Problem from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 10.04

OMG I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this simple one, which will keep me haunting for a lot of days to come :-(

The task was very simple at hand,  I had to take remote desktop of System A running Ubuntu10.04 natively with a nvidia graphics card on to SystemB running Ubuntu10.04 inside a VirtualBox.

First step I tried vino the inbuilt remote desktop service.  I turned it on and sure enough it was running however when I attempted to connect to it from SystemB I got just a Black screen over VNC viewer, at times I was able to see the remote system and move my mouse and click on certain thing, it does work on the remote system however the VNC screen locally was not refreshing :-(


Second step I tried removing all Desktop effects in SystemA still no change.

Third Step I installed vnc4server, with apt-get install vnc4server and started VNC server on port 5901 with the command vncserver :1 now I was able to see and interact with just a bash terminal no gnome.  To fix the VNCServer running on port 5901 I had to edit the file in the path ~.vnc/xstartup

The only change is I had to add sh on the exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and kill the current vncserver session and restart it.

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server/Install-VNC.html

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec sh /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc


[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 1280x1024+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
Now I was able to see and interact with the desktop of SystemA, However I was not able to see display:0 of SystemA.  When I attempted to start vnc4server on display 0 like vncserver :0 I got an error saying that it is already in use so I jumped to 4th solution.

Fourth Step: I installed X11VNC still I was having the same problem as I had at step 1.

Fifth Step: I clicked on System > Administration > Hardware drivers
I saw a green dot with nvidia properitary driver being installed on systemA and I chose to Remove it and restarted systemA. Viola now my problem got fixed at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment